Friday, March 25, 2016

A Couple Quick Friday Notes:

So, you'll have to excuse the shortness of today's post. It's been a busy week, and I spent the morning at the movies seeing a movie I won't' be talking about on my blog where I like to stay positive. So instead I have a couple quick notes about some stuff I'm reading and a question for those of you who read this here blog.

- This past Tuesday, Glen Weldon's The Caped Crusade: Batman and the Rise of Nerd Culture was released. I've mentioned Weldon here before, but for those of you who are unfamiliar, Glen Weldon, "writes about books and comic books for the NPR website," as he says on NPRs weekly pop culture podcast Pop Culture Happy Hour. He's a smart guy and a huge Batman fan, so I've been waiting for this book for some time. I'm about a fifth of the way in (I said it's been a busy week), but I can't recommend it highly enough. Thoroughly researched and wittily written, Weldon knows his Batman and I won't lie, his vision of the core of the character and mine are pretty well in line. I'll be doing a full recommended reading on it once I'm done, but I'd be remiss to not get the word out right now.

- So I doubt it's surprising I also love board games, card games, and RPGs. While the correlation between gamers and comic fans isn't 100%, it's high enough that it's pretty obvious I'm into games too. I was actually hoping to get up a column about some of my favorite comic book and superhero based games today, but the time got away from me, and so I'd like to ask those of you reading this: Do you have a favorite game, board or card (customizable or boxed) featuring either comic book characters (superheroes or not) or superheroic figures? It seems odd to break that out, but a game I recently discovered, Power Play, is a pulpy GM-less one session RPG that is based around you playing as one of various super villains (this will definitely be included in the gaming post, trust me), and I know there are plenty of games that take the super heroic ideal and create new heroes and worlds around them. So, I'd love to hear your favorites in the comments here, on the Facebook page, or on twitter @mattlaz1013.

I know that's not much, but I'll be back with reviews on Monday and a regular Friday recommended reading next week. ave a good weekend, and a happy Easter to those who celebrate.

No comments: