Wednesday, July 8, 2015

All-New Marvel WOW and Image Excitement: Titles We’re Excited About This Fall

Last week saw the announcement of a ton of new series from both Marvel and Image, and there are a bunch of those that have both Dan and me really excited. Here's a rundown of those series.

All-New All-Different Avengers (Dan): The old order changeth! For real this time! Writer Mark Waid, hot off a great run on Daredevil and currently rebooting Archie, and artist Adam Kubert roll out a new Avengers lineup featuring Original Recipe Iron Man, Captain America (Sam Wilson), Thor (Jane Foster), the Vision, Ms. Marvel (Kamala Khan), Spider-Man (Miles Morales), and Nova (Sam Alexander). And, despite the fact that Tony Stark is in the picture, they apparently have no money. The best part of this is seeing all the new faces on the team. Considering Kamala’s penchant for writing Avengers fan fiction, I’m especially interested to see how she reacts to getting called up to the big leagues.



Daredevil (Matt): I've loved Mark Waid's run on Daredevil, which is evident to anyone who has read any of my reviews of the title, of which there have been many. And while I'm sad to see it go, I can't think of a better writer to take over than Charles Soule, who just happens to be a lawyer, and who wrote my favorite short-lived Marvel series since Captain Britain and MI-13 closed up shop, last year's She-Hulk series. I'm hooping he can bring that same wit and legal sense to Marvel's premiere superhero lawyer. Ron Garney is a great choice for penciler, as his work on Wolverine showed a sense of dynamism and how well he draws ninjas, a plus with DD.

Deadpool (Dan): YAY! DEADPOOL’S NOT DEAD ANYMORE! Not that I ever thought that was going to stick. Homeboy’s got a movie coming out next year! Writer Gerry Duggan and artist Mike Hawthorne return to keep being awesome.



Doctor Strange (Dan): It’s a bit of shame that Doctor Strange hasn’t been able to carry a series in recent years, especially considering how important he’s been to big stories like the Infinity Gauntlet and Secret Wars. But I have faith in this new title, both because Marvel needs to give the doctor a big push with a movie coming out next year and because of the creative team assigned to him. Jason Aaron has done amazing work for Marvel in recent years on Wolverine & the X-Men and Thor, and few artists do dark and trippy as well as Chris Bachalo. Plus check out that sweet ax Doc’s been wielding in the promo art.

Extraordinary X-Men (Dan): I haven’t read X-Men on the regular since the days of Grant Morrison, but I’m intrigued by this title, which features a classic lineup: Storm (Mohawk), (Old Man) Logan, Nightcrawler, Colossus, Iceman, (young) Jean Grey, and Magik. It’s almost as if Marvel realized the X-Men needed a flagship book! Best of luck to new X-writer Jeff Lemire (Sweet ToothAll-New Hawkeye) and artist Humbero Ramos (The Amazing Spider-Man).

Howling Commandos of S.H.I.E.L.D. (Matt): I love Marvel monsters. I think Werewolf by Night is seriously underrated as a character. And so a book of monster heroes working for S.H.I.E.L.D. lead by Dum-Dum Dugan, a favorite agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. and the only guy I know who can rock a bowler hat and a walrus 'stache, sounds like a great book. Frank Barbiere's Five Ghosts from image has had some great supernatural twists and turns, and while I'm not familiar with artist Brent Schoonover, a little internet research has show some great work, so I'm pleased to see where this goes.



Karnak (Dan): Of all the new Marvel titles, this one, about the Inhuman whose power is to see the fatal flaw in every scenario, is the one I never thought would ever exist. But given it’s being written by Warren Ellis, whose bitter British wit I’ve loved since he wrote Excalibur 20 years ago, I’m willing to give it a shot.

Sam Wilson, Captain America (Dan): I’m on record about my love of the Steve Rogers-Sam Wilson dynamic, and I’m happy to see Sam’s still wearing the colors, as much as I found myself burned out by previous writer Rick Remender’s kitchen-sink approach dating to Uncanny X-Force. The new series by writer Nick Spencer (Morning Glories, Ant-Man) and artist Daniel Acuna (Uncanny Avengers) appears to show a rift between Steve and Sam, and I’m hoping it injects some new life into Cap’s adventures.

Spider-Man 2009 (Matt): Despite ending on something of a cliffhanger before Secret Wars, I wasn't sure we'd see this title return. But here it is! Peter David and Will Sliney return, giving Miguel O'Hara a new costume and hopefully keeping up the same fun and action that the first volume had.

Totally Awesome Hulk (Matt): Greg Pak is second only to Peter David as my favorite Hulk writer, so it's exciting to see him back. And Frank Cho draws an awesome giant monster, so he's a great choice for the book. And if my supposition on the identity of the new Hulk is correct, (c'mon Amadeus Cho!) I'll be even more excited.


And from last week’s Image Expo:



Black Magick (Matt): Ok, Greg Rucka could write anything and I'd read it. Nicola Scott could draw anything and I'd look at it. Combine the two with the words "supernatural" and "police procedural" and I might have my new favorite book of 2015 staring back at me sight unseen.

Camp Midnight (Matt): Steven T. Seagle has written a lot of very smart comics, and is best known for his work for Vertigo. But outside of comics, he's best known as part of the Man of Action studio, that created the hugely popular Ben 10 franchise. With artist Jason Katzenstein, he's combining his comics background with his all-ages work to give us Camp Midnight, the story of one of only two human campers at a summer camp for monsters. Sounds like a fun OGN to me.

Crosswind (Matt): Gail Simone is writing a creator owned book for Image? Sign me up. Add in strong art from the talented Cat Staggs and the concept of a no-nonsense hitman swapping minds with a frazzled housewife, and this looks like another home run from Simone, whose early Killer Princesses is a lost gem of hitwoman hilarity. 

Private Eye (Dan): Brian K. Vaughn and Marcos Martin’s formerly digital-only series, about a future in which personal privacy is so guarded that everyone wears a mask, is finally being printed through Image. If Vaughn (Y the Last Man, Ex Machina, Saga) has written a bad story, I haven’t read it.



Snotgirl (Dan): Color me intrigued by this series about a fashion blogger with severe allergies, written by Bryan Lee O’Malley (Scott Pilgrim) with art by Leslie Hung. The promo art for this series features a traditionally beautiful woman with green snot running down her face.

No comments: